Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Amsterdam, Day 5 / Rotterdam

View from Canal near Centraal Station
Spent the morning at STEIM learning about their software called junXion. I cut out early to go to Rotterdam with Meg Grant, an artist who works with programming, hardware hacking and smart textiles. She is currently teaching an elective over at the Willem de Kooning Academie on smart textiles. I went with her to hear Piem Wirtz, who works at V_2, talk about wearable technology and then I went around with Meg while the students presented their final project ideas.
 View from Canal near Centraal Station
Wandered into some neat shops near the train station. Found this great vintage store where everything was in perfect condition. Picked up a silk dress from the 50's that was hand made. It is in absolutely perfect condition. Just need to take it up a tiny bit at the shoulders and it will be perfect. Also got some silly gifts for people.
 Amsterdam Centraal Station
 Textile room at Willem de Kooning
So, the textile department at Willem de Kooning is literally two rooms. They are mostly a fashion program, but in their third year, the students do something with textiles. They had the tiniest looms, but a lot of knitting machines and industrials. Their dye kitchen was one hot plate. I was so sad. But I was also really happy that I was not spending my semester there. But I do think I would have had fun in Meg's class. I would be the one enthusiastic person in it.
 View of Willem de Kooning from Textile Room
Piem's presentation on wearable technology was really thorough. I had seen most of the pieces before from my research and in others in smart textiles at MICA. She covered all the bases- art, performance, fashion, sports, medicine. And then the class presented their final projects. I guess they had a few requirements- they have to use two skills they learned so far. But so much upset me about the class- they weren't excited. They were just trying to do something that would fit the requirements. Basically everyone was using LED's and thermochromic ink on a t-shirt or a dress. I understand that their class is super short, but they just had no drive. Technology can be really intimidating, but they just seemed to have no interest in learning anything about it.
 Willem de Kooning Campus
 Willem de Kooning Campus
 Willem de Kooning Campus
 View of Rotterdam from Train Station
Didn't get to see much else of Rotterdam. I am thinking of coming back because it was only 22 euros round trip on the train from Amsterdam.
Rotterdam from Train Station

No comments:

Post a Comment